An elated Prime Minister minister looked pretty confident and unperturbed by the absence of some opposition members led by the Congress party leaders. He began by thanking all those who had contributed to shaping up this tedious tax regime in the last fifteen years. Here are some of the main points that he made during his speech:
1. The Prime Minister began by saying that the GST launch sets the path for India's future journey where the entire country will have a single tax system across its length and breadth. "From Ganganagar to Itanagar, from Leh to Lakshwadeep, One nation, One tax."
2. He said that with the introduction of the tax India will begin a new journey towards a new destination.
3. He said that the scope of GST is not limited to the financial system as it joins the entire country with the feeling of equality.
4. Thanking the attendees, PM said: "This direction that we have taken, the path we have selected, the reform that we have undertaken, this is not about one party's decision."
5. The PM reminded that the best brains of the country have constantly worked towards GST for the last 15 years.
6. GST is not the achievement of any single government but a result of collective efforts said the PM.
7. It's a great testament to India's democracy and cooperative federalism. "From Ganganagar to Itanagar, from Leh to Lakshwadeep, there will be one nation and one tax," he said.